Sunday, August 19, 2007

We are getting there

Sorry that I haven't put up any posts lately (this is Mark writing), but I have been working hard to get things in order around here. We were sweating about Hurricane Dean, but it looks like we will dodge this one. Good thing too, because the garage would fall down without two sides upstairs and no doors and windows! I trimmed trees two weekends in a row both for asthetics and to keep the trees from being top heavy, with saturated ground, and possibly falling over in a high wind. After the tree work I got conscripted to work on the garage (the contractor wants more money, so I offered my time). I have been putting on the hurricane straps and clips for the last four or five evenings. I basically plan to work every free moment around the house until we start to see light at the end of the tunnel. I started building steps to the porch (we are going to demo out the brick steps). I got the posts set and the boards cut. I have a couple more hours of work on the first set of steps. Two more sets to go! The back stairs (our normal entry facing the garage) will be a small deck with a roof and handrail. I have designed this, but haven't purchased the materials yet.

The garage is taking shape. The carpenters estimate four more days until they are finished. They will complete the framing, construct the stairs (opposite side of the garage) and put up the siding. The contractors will then roof the garage and paint the garage and house. They still need to put in all the doors and windows and do all the electrical work. After all this, they will bring in dirt and caliche for the parking area. Then we will have lots more fun trying to get everything up to Stephenie's specifications. That could take a lot of time...and money!

We will keep you posted. Our to-do list is long, so we should have something to post pretty frequently...weather and money permitting.

No comments: